You’ll be hard-pressed to find a successful nonprofit organization that doesn’t have a great website and that doesn’t provide a smooth digital donation experience to its donors. To do this, many opt for website builders – which allow users to create beautiful and functional websites with little to no design or coding knowledge.
WordPress.com was launched in 2005 and is arguably one of the most popular web builders and blog hosting services. Some estimates show that over 28% of all websites on the internet are powered by WordPress (including names like BBC, Reuters, and Sony). There are over 50 million users on this platform. Note: There are two versions of WordPress available. There is self-hosted WordPress.org and WordPress.com.
As a nonprofit building your website on WordPress, you will have access to 50,000 free WordPress plugins that add features and functionality to your website.
Since online fundraising has become the bread and butter for nonprofit organizations around the world and garners millions in charitable giving for the nonprofit industry every year, choosing an online donation plugin is one of the most important decisions a nonprofit will make.
Online fundraising lets donors give easily and frequently and it keeps their information secure. It also lets nonprofits collect donations from anywhere, capture more donor information, increase their brand awareness, and raise funds cost-effectively. Win-win!
Donorbox – Free Donation Software
Donorbox is a powerful donation plugin that is very simple and fast to set up. You can start fundraising with a fast, optimized donation payment system in 15 minutes.
Over 7,000 organizations from 25 countries use the Donorbox fundraising software.
In addition to being free if you get less than $1k in donations in a month, Donorbox offers an array of impressive features.
When choosing a donation software, security is evidently an important feature. Donorbox is fully PCI compliant and secured by SSL/TLS.
Credit card information is encrypted, tokenized, and safely stored with the Stripe payment processor. Donorbox does not store any card or bank data. Donorbox also does not share client or donation information with any third party.
2. Simple and Fully Customisable Donation Forms
Donorbox features straightforward online fundraising forms. Simple, minimalist, and visually appealing donation forms tend to increase donation page conversion rates (the percentage of people who visit a donation page and complete the donation process). This is because donors can focus on the process of giving itself, instead of getting distracted. Donorbox lets you brand your donation page with your own color scheme, styling and logo.
3. Next Gen
Donorbox donation forms are localized in English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese. You can set this manually or let it auto-detect.
Donorbox not only accepts donations in multiple currencies (USD, EUR, CAD, GBP, AUD, plus more) but has also recently introduced ApplePay and Google Pay as payment options. This helps make payments simple and fast. ACH payments are also accepted. The checkout process is quick and easy.
All of this caters to the next generation of donors.
4. Donor Management
Donorbox enables your organization to have a comprehensive overview of donor profiles with a summary of the donor’s contributions and amount donated, as well as a list of all of their donations. You can manage all donations from this dashboard, as well as resend receipts, update donations even after they’ve been made and refund donations.
You can also track total yearly contributions and export donation details as a CSV file, which can come in handy for tax reporting purposes.
5. Suggested Donation Amounts
Offering different giving levels allows donors to choose how much they are willing to give.
Different giving levels can increase the average size of donors’ contributions over time. You can also tie in descriptions to suggested donation amounts (e.g. $15 dollars will pay one month worth of school supplies for one child in India). This lets donors visualize the impact of their donations, which increases the chances of them donating.
6. Easy Integrations
Donorbox easily integrates and allows you to get the most out of your online donation system:
- Employer Gift Matching
- Salesforce NPSP 3 Integration
7. Recurring Donations
Donorbox is optimized for recurring donations with its simple and effective checkout.
Donorbox also offers the fundraising thermometer feature, which in combination with the recurring donations increases the number of donations.
8. Automated Actions
Donorbox allows you to automate a lot of actions, saving time and effort. For example, every donation triggers an automatic personalised receipt email that you only need to set up once.
Furthermore, their payment gateway Stripe will transfer your donations to your account on your selected schedule.
These are some of the additional features Donorbox offers. Visit their website to learn more:
– Donorbox support team is always prompt to respond and provide helpful answers to your questions and queries;
– It integrates with Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack;
– You can accept donations on your Facebook Page;
– Optimized for desktop, mobile phones, and tablets;
– Popup donation form available;
– Donation tracking code & PDF invoices available;
– Donors have full control over their monthly recurring donations;
– You can export your donor data as csv and auto-export your donor data to MailChimp and Salesforce NPSP;
– PDF receipts, filtering recurring donations, and converting different currencies available.
1. Go to your WordPress dashboard, find the “Plugins” tab on the left-hand sidebar and click “Add New”.
2. In the WordPress plugin search bar, type “Donorbox” and press enter.
3. Once you have found the Donorbox WordPress donation plugin, click “Install Now”.
4. Once the plugin has been installed, click to activate it.
5. Now, go to your Donorbox dashboard, find the campaign you wish to embed on your site using the WordPress donate plugin, and copy the link of the secure donation page.
6. Create a campaign form with the easy-to-use form builder.
7. In your Donorbox dashboard, find the campaign you wish to embed on your site using the WordPress donate plugin, and copy the link of the secure donation page.
8. Head back to your WordPress dashboard and, in the left-hand sidebar, click on “Settings” and then “Donorbox”.
9. Paste your campaign URL into the appropriate textbox and click “Save Changes”.
10. Go back to your WordPress page text editor (not the visual editor) of the donation page that you want edit. Type in one of the following shortcodes to embed the donation form using the WordPress donate plugin:
11. Publish your post and wait for your WordPress donations to come in!
Donorbox is free if you get less than $1k in donations in a month. There are no set up costs. If you reach $1k in a month, Donorbox charges a small platform fee of 0.89% for the month’s donations.
Additionally, Stripe and PayPal merchant accounts charge 2.9% + $0.30 for credit card processing. These rates can be reduced for registered nonprofits by simply letting them know.
What are Users Saying About It?
Donorbox has a 5-star rating on WordPress, and many satisfied customers. Here is what one of them says:
“Before using Donorbox we were constantly having problems with our online donation processing. Donors contacted us monthly having problems setting up their gifts. Since transitioning to Donorbox we have not had a single donor contact us saying they were having trouble setting up a gift. In fact, we’ve had several donors tell us how easy the new process is. The Donorbox team has been extremely responsive when we need help and have already implemented suggestions for future features. I have no hesitations recommending Donorbox to you.”
Running a website can be an overwhelming task, and figuring out the world of fundraising can be even more daunting.
All pros and cons in mind, Donorbox continuously proves to be the best donation plugin for your WordPress site.
It is incredibly easy to use, which makes it more accessible to nonprofits of all kinds – from individuals looking to make a difference to large international nonprofits. Their support team is quick to respond and helpful. Donorbox listens to customer feedback and keenly implements it, constantly coming out with new features and integrations (without any additional cost).
Given the accepting of accepting of cards and payment processors Google Pay, PayPal, Apple Pay and ACH, Donorbox makes fundraising easier than ever. This is especially the case when it comes to the Donorbox form builder. It is effective, yet simple and remarkably reduces the lengthy process of donation.
With all of these features in store and being affordable, it offers a lot of bang for your buck.